A Travellerspoint blog

The City of Angels



Well....what a journey to get to Bangkok.

What we've learnt: Bangkok is full of cheats and liars.

We left Otford at 3.45 on Thursday 14th July, on our way to Heathrow. We checked in amazingly however, the stupid b**ch refused us an upgrade. We had three hours to drink beer until our flight to Delhi, which was thorougly enjoyable. The flight was as sweet as a nut until 13 minutes before landing, when it turned into another proposed two hours of flying and we were headed for Mumbai. WHAT!? There was raucaus amongst the mixed-races on our plane and suddenly the plane did a loop-the-loop and we were heading North for the wonderful Amritsar. Heard of it? NO. Because 3 planes a year (average) leave that place. We found out that our plane had been re-directed due to a (and we quote) 'light mist' in Delhi. Despite our usual impatient natures (not Madeline), we were not phased by this, as I (Madeline) have mentioned in my previous blog, we had 14 hours to wait in Delhi, so this little detour took 3 hours off this and was merely a blip.

We finally arrived in Delhi with approx. 10 hours to kill. Worst phrase ever. So we slept on and off and demolished three chicken Mcdonalds (no beef in India, weird). The time came to board our flight to Bangkok, it couldn't have come sooner and our spirits began to lift. Madeline is a pretty good sleeper so she sprawled across two seats and Ben and slept the whole 4 hours. IT came to her attention after the journey that Ben was a quivering wreck. This was caused by the fact the aeroplane was making a 'funny' noise and he was convinced of our imminent death. Hey-ho we arrived safely, without being arrested by immigration/Thai police for whatever heroine/crack/illegal dog was planted on us by bad, bad people.

Listening to many friends tell us to PUT IT ON THE METER, we did, and we STILL got ripped off. We didn't care, we just wanted to get a couple of hours sleep as by this time we had been travelling for nearly 40 hours. We got to our room and slept for two hours, which actually turned into 9 hours of sleep. We woke up to the sound of thunder and the heaviest rain known to man. It really was amazing. So we went for a beer on our rooftop bar.

We stayed in Khao San road, which resembles a Thai Malia (in my opinion).. hunted down a restaurant and ordered a beer. Unfortuately we had arrived on 'Buddha day'....Meaning, no beer. ANYWHERE!! We had a delicious dinner, and went back to our bar where the man was secretly serving, how sweet.

Due to jet lag we pretty much slept for the next 3 days.. getting ripped off by taxi drivers intermittantly when visiting China town (amazing) and a snake farm (ok) where we saw Cobras attack a man. We are now waiting for our train to take us north, we are over the jet lag, finally so are hoping to do more exciting trips and maybe tackle a cobra of our own.

Posted by Mads and Ben 01:57

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint